Charity Number 213110
An original organisation, The Harrogate and District Old People's Welfare Committee was set up in 1949.
It was decided that Knaresborough people would be better served by an independent organisation and on the 4th April 1950, The Knaresborough Old People's Welfare Committee was formed.
The Committee was elected as follows:-
Coun. B.P. Abbott, Mr J.S. Bousefield, Mrs W. Brooks, Mr Derrington, Sister Garrett, Coun. H.T. Knutton, Mr.G. Nicholson,
Mr S. Norman, Mr J. Sutcliffe and Miss Thompson.
Local business man Mr Frederick Frazer purchases the building at 23 Market Place and 2 days later gave it to The Knaresborough Old People's Welfare Committee. It is formally handed over to a group of Trustees who are to look after the building and maintain it as a working centre for the old people of Knaresborough.
The name is changed to become a formal charity and is still known today as Knaresborough Old People's Welfare Association (KOPWA)